What if you could feel proud of your smile? What if you could experience confidence knowing your teeth help you look more attractive, not less? There is a remarkable way to correct mild to moderate dental issues in little time, without the obvious appearance of metal braces. Invisalign aligners provide outstanding adjustments to teeth, and they’re virtually invisible, so no one will even know you are undergoing orthodontic treatment.
What are Invisalign aligners?
Essentially, Invisalign aligners are clear, custom-made plastic trays that straighten teeth. While traditional braces use brackets, ligatures and rubber bands, Invisalign aligners require only thin, transparent plastic trays that resemble a mouthguard.
How do aligners work?
For patients who wish to use aligners, there is a procedure to follow. Understanding these steps if you are considering clear aligners can help you determine if it’s an option you want to explore further.
- First, your dentist must approve your quest to use Invisalign aligners. You and your dentist can work together to determine the reasons for using them and if they can adjust your teeth how you wish.
- Once you and your dentist agree that they’re right for you, he will scan your mouth using intraoral technology, so no messy putty is required!
- The digital impressions of your teeth are used to create a custom-made 3-dimensional imprint. This imprint is used to fabricate your bespoke series of aligners.
- You’ll be fitted for aligners that are just right for your unique teeth and how you hope to move them.
- The aligners fit snuggly over the teeth you want to correct. Unlike traditional braces, Invisalign aligners can be removed temporarily daily for activities like eating and brushing and flossing, so there are no diet restrictions.
- The aligners gently force teeth into the desired position by using a steady amount of pressure.
- Each tooth’s surrounding ligament stretches.
- This expansion and resulting inflammation encourage new bone growth.
- Your teeth will move unnoticeably slowly as the gentle pressure and stretching occur while your aligners are in place.
- You switch to the next aligner in your series every 1-2 weeks.
– Every few weeks, you’ll visit your dentist to examine how your teeth are adjusting.
- After your treatment, you will be fitted for a retainer to prevent your teeth from relapsing to their former position.
Who can use Invisalign aligners?
Dentists typically recommend Invisalign for patients with minor to moderate orthodontic issues.
If your teeth are a bit too close together or you have undesirable gaps in your teeth, Invisalign aligners might be right for you.
How Long Does Invisalign Take?
If you love the idea of using a subtle, low-maintenance system to help straighten your teeth, you might be excited at the prospect of using clear aligners. The next question you are probably wondering is, how long does Invisalign take to work?
Using invisible aligners is a highly individualised choice. It requires personal attention and custom treatment from your dentist. Because clear aligners are created for your specific teeth, and because everyone who uses them is doing so for different reasons, there is no set amount of time required for aligner use.
Treatment can span from ten weeks to two years, depending on many factors, including the following:
- The number of hours per day you wear your Invisalign aligners will impact how long the treatment will take.
- If you wear your invisible aligners fewer than 20 hours per day, treatment will not be as effective.
- If you wear your aligners between 20-22 hours per day, treatment will take longer.
- If you wear your aligners 22-24 hours per day, treatment and achieving desired results will occur faster.
- If you need to adjust only a few teeth, if the adjustments are minor, or if you had braces earlier in life, aligners can work in as little as three months.
- Typically, most patients who have worn their aligners 22-24 hours per day see results in twelve months.
- If you would like more considerate change in your teeth, the process can take more than one year.
At first glance, this may seem like a non committal answer to the question, how long does Invisalign take? However, when we deliberate the different factors, it takes an average of one year for most patients to see the results of their aligners.
It’s time to feel confident about your smile and walk through the world with your head held high, knowing you can laugh often and openly. Invisalign aligners offer patients an innovative, low-maintenance alternative to traditional braces. If you’re also looking for Invisalign alternatives, check out our review of the top clear aligners available in the market to learn more.
If you are interested in Invisalign aligners, talk to our professional staff at Southern Smiles. Call us on (02) 8503 9902 to book a consultation or learn more about our services.